WHAT IS LISTEN TO MY STORY
Listen to my Story aims to raise awareness of the signs and vulnerabilities of Child Sexual Exploitation.
Listen to My Story is a Merseyside wide campaign to raise awareness of child sexual exploitation (CSE) and to educate our communities about the signs and vulnerabilities of CSE.
CSE involves someone manipulating a young person into doing sexual acts for the benefit or enjoyment of others.
CSE can happen to boys and girls and is a form of child abuse which is against the law.
Trust is gained through persuasion, making a young person feel they have to do something in return.
For example, someone may try and get a young person to do sexual things by:
• Buying expensive presents, food or clothes
• Giving money
• Saying I love you and lavishing attention upon them
• Offering them a place to stay
• Taking them out to places
• Threatening to hurt them or their family
• Requesting naked photographs, then threatening to send them to their family
or post the images on the internet
• Take part in things they may feel uncomfortable with e.g. drugs taking or
stealing to prove ‘love’ and loyalty
Sometimes it can be difficult to spot the signs of CSE, but if you or someone you know has been asked to do sexual things in return for something then they may have been sexually exploited, even if the person who did it was a friend, boyfriend or girlfriend.
You may not be facing these pressures, but may know someone who may be. Learn to know the signs of Child Sexual Exploitation by clicking here.
To report CSE call Merseyside Police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111. In an emergency dial 999.